Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Lesson 6: The Nurse Leader's Role in Managing Change

What is your attitude toward change?

My attitude toward change depends upon the situation. During an orientation meeting for my first job as an LPN, the word "change" was repeated frequently. Phrases such as, "change is good," "change is inevitable," and, "change is constant," were a large part of the meeting. I felt as though I were being primed for brain washing because it was repeated so much. Within the coming months, I discovered why the word "change" stressed so much during this meeting. I found that over time, my responsibilities were gradually being reduced, and I began to feel like a nurse assistant instead of an LPN. One RN even asked me why I was there due to the new limitations of my position. All of the LPN positions at this hospital were eliminated within two years. I was fortunate enough to have left that particular position for another one before I was a victim of that particular institutional change. Because of the negative experiences at that institution, I now have little desire to work there as registered nurse.
I realize that change is constant and inevitable. Sometimes an individual has control of the change, and sometimes not. When implementing a change that may affect others, I think it is important to involve them as much as possible in order to eliminate some of the confusion and anxiety that can result from change. Keeping them involved may possibly reduce some of the resistance that can come with change, depending upon the circumstances.

1 comment:

  1. A good leader will be able to adapt her or his leadership to the goals or objectives to be accomplished. Goal setting, capacity to assume responsibility, education, and experience are main factors that make a leader successful. Thanks and see more at:- http://www.blanchardinternational.co.in/

    ReplyDelete