Saturday, January 15, 2011

Lesson 2-Successful Leadership and Management

Think about how theories of leadership and management impact nursing leadership and management roles. Record your thoughts on your “Blog”

There are numerous theories regarding leadership and management, and I have seen some of those theories put in to practice as I have worked as a nurse. The most annoying type of leader that I have experienced is the authoritarian leader. The worst part of that particular experience was that the person practicing that form of leadership appeared to be more interested in exerting their own power and less interested in positive outcomes for the patients or the staff members. When the time came for me to move on, I was all too happy to leave that job. I have also experienced a laissez-faire leader, who did not last long in their appointed position. I am not sure if I have experienced a democratic leader. It is possible that I have, but the negative experiences that I have had with the other styles are more vivid. I think that a medley of the behavioral theories can be most effective, depending upon the situation. One person maintaining one behavioral style for every situation seems to be extreme and ineffective.
I think it does help to get the input of those who are being led. As an employee, I appreciate when my employer expresses an interest in my thoughts regarding situations within the organization. I feel like a valued member of the team instead of a grunt who is there to put in my time and collect my paycheck. I also think it is important for a leader or manager to effectively communicate with employees.
I recall a time during major organizational restructuring that was very poorly handled overall. The announcement that my entire department was being laid off was given during a television press conference, and we had no prior knowledge of this. After I had been relocated within the organization, additional changes were going to be made. If I remember correctly, administration began to communicate with the nursing staff only after some nurses started talking about joining a union. A representative came and asked us which benefit we would rather give up due to the necessity for more budget cuts. He appeared to be shocked when we gave him our answer, which happened to be the most cost-effective option for the organization at the time. I never understood why the administration did not communicate the situation with the employees prior to the press conference. If they had attempted to communicate, things may have turned out very differently.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful information about good leadership ? Really its too good. Thanks for sharing. Keep on posting!!!

    ReplyDelete