Thursday, January 20, 2011

Lesson 3: Ethical and Legal Responsibilities and the Role of the Nurse Leader as Advocate

I am ready to scream. I have tried to set up a clinical at Timpanogos Hospital in Orem. I called and spoke to more people than I can keep track of in an attempt to get the clinical time arranged. I got a call back from a potential preceptor a few nights ago, and she did not sound as though she wanted to be my preceptor. I read her the objectives from the syllabus, and told her I needed to complete ninety hours of clinical time. She told me that anything she had to teach me could be done in about two hours. I left the name and phone numbers of my professor per her request so that she can contact him. She then told me she would be back in town in early February. Is there any way to simplify this process? I am so frustrated!

And now to address the objectives:

One major ethical and legal challenge in the role of the nurse leader may be related to equal employment opportunity laws. There are some clinical settings, such as a labor and delivery unit, that may be so accustomed to its female workforce that the inclusion of a male may make the staff and patients uncomfortable. However, it is illegal to discriminate against a male applicant based on gender.


The most fundamental universal principle is respect for people. The other major ethical principles (autonomy, beneficence, paternalism, utility, justice, veracity, fidelity, and confidentiality) stem from this basic principle, according to the text book. I am not sure what is meant by the objective stating to discuss the application of principles of ethical reasoning.

Legal obligations require following the law and not doing anything illegal. Ethical obligations involve doing the "right thing" and adhering to one's own value system. Legal and ethical obligations may coexist within a given situation, or they may clash.

Resources available when addressing ethical and legal dilemmas include the American Nurses Association (ANA) Code of Ethics for Nurses, the ANA Standards of Practice for Nurse Administrators, the MORAL Decision-Making Model, the International Code of Ethics, the Nurse Practice Act, federal and state laws (such as HIPAA), and lawyers employed by the facility (if they are present).

managers responsibility to advocate for pts, subordinates, organization, profession, and self: Managers must advocate for patients regarding distribution of resources and technology use. Managers must help subordinates to resolve ethical issues and live with the solutions at the unit level, and create an environment conducive to professional and personal growth. Managers must create an environment of patient advocacy for their subordinates and patients. Nurse managers must broaden their knowledge, sociopolitical and otherwise, to assist the advancement of the nursing profession. I am not sure how to describe a manager's responsibility to advocate for himself or herself. Maybe it is supposed to be about sticking up for personal core values.

No comments:

Post a Comment