Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Lesson 10: Conflict Resolution Collective Bargaining, Unionization and Employment Law

Record an example of conflict you experienced in your reflective journal and describe how you would handle the situation as a nurse manager.

I was working as a licensed practical nurse at a hospital in a different state. There was tension between myself and one of the nurse techs. I needed some information from the nurse tech regarding one of my patients, so I went to her to get the information. She was with a patient, so I asked her to speak to me when she was done. She came to the door of that patient's room, very loudly and in a vulgar manner told me that she was tired of my behavior, and that she was not going to take it any more. She also verbally threatened me physically. I considered her behavior to be highly unprofessional and unacceptable, so I went to the assistant nurse manager on the floor in order to have her mediate between the two of us. Upon meeting in the office, the nurse tech proceeded to profusely compliment the assistant manager, which obviously pleased her. I mentioned that the nurse tech yelled at me and threatened me in front of a patient. The nurse tech fully admitted to her actions. She was not disciplined or even told not to behave in that manner. That was the day I started looking for employment elsewhere.
If I had been the nurse manager, I would have addressed the problem immediately. There is no reason to physically threaten another person in the work environment, and yelling to another staff member in front of a patient is unacceptable. At the very least, a written warning would have been warranted, as well as anger management training for the nurse tech. Also, mediating between the two employees may have also been helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment