Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Lesson 12: Performance Appraisals and Dealing with Problem Employees

Imagine you are a nurse manager and record ways of terminating an employee.

Terminating an employee is often a progressive process. The first step is an informal reprimand or a verbal admonishment. The second step is a formal reprimand or written admonishment. If the undesirable behavior is still not corrected, the third step is suspension from work with or without pay for a brief time. The last step is involuntary termination or dismissal. The steps do not have to be followed chronologically. For example, for gross mistreatment of a patient, dismissal may be the only acceptable option. Use of intoxicants while on duty would be another cause for immediate dismissal.

If I had to terminate an employee, I would probably take that employee into my office privately. I would explain to the employee the reasoning behind my decision. If I thought that the employee may react violently, I would have another supervisor and/or a member of security present for the meeting. I would try to follow the progressive process as much as possible, but I would follow the policies of my institution and protect the safety of the patients above all else.

1 comment: