Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lesson 9: Creating a Motivating Climate Organizational, Interpersonal and Group Communication

Record your thoughts concerning motivation. Include an example of when you felt motivated/not motivated as a result of a manager’s actions. Thoughtfully record a personal career development plan.

My current thoughts regarding motivation revolve around the fact that I have so little of it at the moment when it comes to getting all of the worthless papers that are required for this semester done. I think that it is important to be motivated. I must have some motivation left. After all, I am still submitting these blogs, and I am still getting my work done. Anyway, positive motivation in the workplace is important. For many people, workplace motivation is financial. For others, it involves recognition. Motivation is often a combination of many different factors that are unique to the individual.

I have felt both motivated and not motivated simultaneously as a result of a manager's actions. I recall a time when I worked on a busy Med-Surg unit as an LPN. I had a problem and went to the manager in hopes of reaching a resolution. This particular manager was terrible at her job in general, and did nothing to help me with my situation. I was motivated to remember her terrible management style, to never emulate it, and to find another job. I was not motivated to stay there and continue to work on that unit. In fact, at that point I was not motivated to want to be a nurse any more! Luckily, future experiences taught me that the entire profession of nursing cannot be judged based upon one negative working environment.

I am no longer sure of my personal career plan. I thought that I was six months ago. I know that I want to eventually continue my education. I know that I would like to continue to work in public health. I do not know if I want to become a family nurse practitioner or not. I have considered pursuing an administrative degree or perhaps a master's degree in public health. I definitely want to make sure that whatever degree I choose, I have many career options open. I know of one nurse who got a master's degree in alternative medicine. I do not think that such a degree would be very versatile. Higher education is very expensive, and I have a tendency toward frugality. I want to make sure that I get the most bang for my buck, especially if I will have to go in to debt to finance it. Ultimately, I want to do what is best for my family. I am just not sure what that is anymore!

1 comment: